Fort Phillip

Fortification

Hexagonal fort built on Windmill Hill from 1804, but never finished.

Names
Commemorates

Fort Phillip

by Mark Dunn, 2008 Creative Commons License

Standing high on Windmill Hill above The Rocks, Fort Phillip was built to defend the colony from threats coming from the ocean to the east, and the hinterland to the west. Though the guns remained there until the 1820s, the fort was never finished, and was more useful as a signal and telegraph station by 1840, when it was partly demolished.
more »

Fort Phillip and the Signal Staff 1842
The third government windmill in front of Fort Phillip c1819-21
West side of Farm Cove with distant view of the Military Hospital, the smock-mill and Fort Phillip, c1818
Plan of the land on the east side of the northern continuation of Kent Street where the Government quarries are situated ... 1833
'State of Fort Phillip...', 13 August 1806