Inner-western residential and commercial suburb named after the estate of emancipist jeweller Jacob Josephson. It developed with the construction of the Redfern-Parramatta railway line in the 1850s.
Lewishamby Chrys Meader, 2008
Cadigal country until large grants were given to settlers in the early colony, Lewisham remained timbered and rural until the mid-nineteenth century. Its Catholic church, cemetery and hospital dominated one side of the suburb, and were the site of an air crash in 1946 when two staff were killed.