Foundation plate of the first Government House

Engraved copper plate laid by Governor Phillip in May 1788 with the foundation stone of the first Government House building. In 1899 it was was unearthed beneath the Bridge Street footpath by a man working on the telephone tunnel system. lt is now on display in the Museum of Sydney on the site of first Government House. 

Type