Sir Richard Bourke statue
Statue of Governor Sir Richard Bourke that was unveiled in 1842 'on the rising ground at the entrance of the Government Domain from Bent Street', five years after he had departed the colony. Australia's first monument, and the only statue of a British colonial governor built with money raised by public subscription. In 1838, Bourke's son in London commissioned the English sculptor Edward Hodges Baily was commissioned to create the work on behalf of the committee in Sydney. The statue was moved in 1925 and now stands in front of the Mitchell Library, at the interesection of Macquarie Street and Shakespeare Place.