2EU Maroubra site

House in Maroubra which was owned by C V Stevenson. Stevenson broadcasted the country's first commercial radio station, 2EU, from his living room. Broadcast from 8pm to 10pm nightly, the original program consisted of sing-alongs from the family's pianola, a gramophone with a microphone placed near the speaker horn, advertising from the local butcher, and cheerio calls at two shillings each. Once the pianola roll had been played, Stevenson would leave the microphone live and whistled to fill the silence while he removed and replaced the roll. The grandfather clock in the room was also fitted with a microphone to chime the hour. The station then moved to Savoy House in Bligh Street.

Property
Owned by
- 1936
Occupied by
26 Jan 1925 - 1936
Type