814 George Street Haymarket

Eight storey emporium built for Marcus Clark & Co in 1906 at the corner of Pitt and George streets, it remains a commanding presence in Railway Square. Designed by James Nangle, it was modelled on the Fuller building, or flat iron building, in New York. 

Milestone
Constructed
1905 - 1906
Name
Alternate
New South Wales Railway Lost Property Office
Alternate
Lottery Office Building
Alternate
Marcus Clarke Emporium
1905 - 1946
Position
1905 - 1906
Property
Occupied by
1905 - 1946
Occupied by
1946 -
Type

Marcus Clark and Co

,
2011

Established as a draper in Newtown, Marcus Clark and Co went on to become one of Sydney's best known stores, with numerous buildings at Railway Square, and a wide range of goods.