Barnett Levey's Theatre Royal

First permanent theatre in Australia, operated by Barnett Levey. Built in George Street behind the Royal Hotel in 1829 and officially licensed in 1832, the theatre closed in 1838 and the building was destroyed by fire in 1840. 

Milestone
Constructed
1829
Destroyed
1840
Name
Commemorated by
Alternate
Royal Assembly Rooms
1829 - 1832
Position
1826
1832
1832 - 1837
1832 - 1837
Dec 1832 - 1837
Feb 1834 - Feb 1835
Feb 1834 - Feb 1835
Apr 1835 - Nov 1835
Apr 1835 - May 1836
Apr 1835 - May 1836
May 1836 - 1837
Oct 1837 - Dec 1837
Property
Owned by
1829 - 02 Oct 1837
Owned by
Mar 1838 - 1860
Type

Barnett Levey's Theatre Royal

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2010

The first commercial theatre in Sydney had a shaky start, and its owner Barnett Levey had problems with licensing, financing and bankruptcy. Despite this, it saw the first professional production of Shakespeare in Australia and formed part of the foundation of Sydney's ongoing theatrical culture.