Bayview House

Situated near the Cooks River near Tempe, the building was a private residence before it operated as a 'private lunatic asylum' with its first patient admitted on 8 November 1865. The asylum was owned by Dr George Tucker and was opened as an alternative for those who considered confinement in a government asylum 'repulsive to their feelings'. Initially it was licensed for 35 patients and one newspaper article notes that many of its patients 'owed their derangement' to the consumption of absinthe.

Milestone
Opened
08 Nov 1865
Died
1872
Died
14 Nov 1883
Closed
31 Mar 1946
Name
Alternate
Cooks River Asylum
Alternate
Bay View House
Alternate
Dr Vause's Asylum
1885 - 1914
Property
Occupied by
Feb 1882 - 14 Nov 1883
Type