The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Bishops Court Randwick
A grand mansion in Randwick that was the official residence of the Anglican Bishop of Sydney. Constructed in 1859 for a total of 7,000 pounds, it was built for Bishop Frederic Barker. The official residence was moved to Bishopscourt, Darling Point in 1911 and the mansion was sold to the Good Samaritan order of Catholic nuns to operate as a convent until it was destroyed by fire in 1924. From the 1890s, the name Bishopscourt was used to describe the area and subsequent subdivisions of the estate.