Capitol Theatre

Market, circus, picture palace and now theatre, the Capitol has an interesting and varied history.

-33.879585915368, 151.20632727397

Milestone
Constructed
1893
Position
Property
On site of
Type

Capitol Theatre building

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Built on the original site of Paddy's Market, the Capitol Theatre was originally built as the New Belmore Markets, and converted into a Hippodrome for the Wirth Bros Circus when the markets moved to Thomas Street, closer to Darling Harbour. For 10 years the building was a circus venue, with a seal pool and elephant enclosure. From 1926-28 the building was rebuilt again, as a picture palace in the 'atmospheric' style. Despite threats of demolition in the 1960s and 70s, the Capitol has been retained and restored as a lyric theatre.