Catherine Hayes Hospital

Two storey, 4 ward hospital built following the death of 77 children from whooping cough in 1867 at the Randwick Asylum. Funded by a donation from the Irish singer Catherine Hayes and public subscription, it was to to care for children that suffered from illness, poverty and famine. The plans were apparently approved by Florence Nightingale.

Milestone
Opened
1870
Name
Commemorates
Property
Part of
Occupied by
1914 - 1953
Occupied by
1953 -
Type