Commercial building at 171-175 William Street, Darlinghurst built for the wool merchant William Henry Chard. In 1916, the Sydney City Council resumed 94 properties on the southern side of William Street for road widening. Chard purchased the allotment on the corner of Forbes and William streets and commissioned the firm, Pitt and Morrow, to design a new commercial building on the site. The building was run as the 50-50 Club by Phil 'the Jew' Jeffs in the 1930s, Sydney's best known illegal casino, sly-grog nightclub and cocaine den. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation purchased the building for 21,000 pounds in 1945. The building still functions as an office block.