Colonial Hospital

Third convict hospital erected on the site which after 1848 provided medical support for not just convicts but for all in the Parramatta area.

Milestone
Constructed
1818
Name
Alternate
Parramatta District Hospital
1848 - 1978
Position
1817 - 1818
1817 - 1818
Property
Part of
1818 - 1844
Occupied by
1818 - 1978
Occupied by
1978 - 1991
Type

The Colonial Hospital

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

At the request of Governor Macquarie, a new convict hospital was built at Parramatta and opened in 1818. Designed by John Watts, the building was based on a military hospital and proved grossly inadequate: only half the expected number of patients could be treated there, men and women were placed side-by-side, and diseases such as dysentery, tuberculosis and syphilis were rife. The hospital officially closed on 31 March 1848, reopening as Parramatta District Hospital in June the same year and bringing the era of convict healthcare to a close.