The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Colonial Theatre No 1.
The Colonial Theatre on George Street was a cinema that billed itself as Australia’s first continuous moving picture show. Opened about 1909 and rebuilt in 1910 as a lavish modern cinema, it was operated by American entrepreneur JD Williams until about 1916 when it was taken over and remodelled again by Hoyts. The building was demolished and rebuilt as the Plaza Cinema in 1930.