Coogee Aquarium and Swimming Baths
Pleasure gardens, baths and aquarium constructed at the northern end of Coogee Beach. The original 'Coogee Palace' covered the whole block bound by Dolphin, Beach, Bream and Arden streets. A promenade was constructed in 1889 could accommodate 3,000 people. From the 1920s, parts of the site were leased to shopkeepers and residents. In 1935, the aquarium displayed the shark at the centre of the shark arm murder case. A conservation order was placed in 1982 and in 1984 the building's huge dome collapsed. In 1987 the building was restored and reopened as The Beach Palace Hotel. In 2014 the building was purchased by the Merivale group and reopened as the Coogee Pavilion, a restaurant and bar complex.