Dairy Cottage Parramatta

Brick cottage constructed by emancipist George Salter on his 30 acre grant. It was converted to a dairy after its purchase by Governor Macquarie c1813 and a sunken dairy processing room constructed in a pavillion beside the cottage. A cow house and barn were added as side pavillions.

-33.80662717319987, 150.996791839425

Milestone
Constructed
1795 - 1800
Name
Alternate
Government Dairy
Alternate
Salter's Farm
1795 - 1813
Property
Owned by
1795 - 1813
Occupied by
1815 - 1849
Type

The Crescent

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

Governor Phillip established Australia's first inland settlement, Parramatta, on a site called 'The Crescent' an area of flat alluvial ground contained by a bend in the river in the Burramattagal's traditional hunting grounds. The first Government House in Parramatta stood within The Crescent, and later the Governor's Dairy. The area was redeveloped in 2014 to host public events.