Built for an ironmonger it was soon converted to an hotel which hosted regular billiards competitions for patrons. Threatened with demolition when George Street was widened in the 1920s and surviving severe fire damage in 1944, it was purchased by Darrell Lea in 1957 and became the flagship store for the confectionery business for 55 years. It closed in 2012 when the business was placed in administration.

Milestone
Constructed
1863 - 1864
Name
Alternate
Ashdown & Co Ironmongers
1864 - 1880
Alternate
Royal Exchange Hotel
1880 - 1904
Alternate
Belfields Hotel
1904 - 1957
Type