Downing Centre

Elegant department store on the corner of Liverpool, Elizabeth and Castlereagh streets which was converted for use as courts in 1985. It has a distinctive façade of white bricks with yellow faience work to the sills and cornices. Two corner towers with yellow pinnacles surmount the building. Originally three storeys it was extended several times in the interwar period and is now eight storeys high.

Milestone
Constructed
1908 - 1909
Modified
1928
Modified
1985
Name
Alternate
Alternate
Mark Foy's Piazza Store
1909 - 1980
Position
1908 - 1909
1908 - 1909
1927 - 1930
Property
Occupied by
1909 - 1980
Occupied by
1980 - 1983
Occupied by
1985 -
Type