Enmore House

House designed by John Verge and built in 1835 for Captain Sylvester Browne, a master mariner with the East India Company. Browne named it after a sugar plantation in Barbados, in the West Indies, that was owned by his business associate James Cavan, a merchant and slave owner. Cavan's estate was named after Enmore in Somerset, England.

Milestone
Constructed
1835
Demolished
1883
Name
Commemorated by
Position
1835
Property
Owned by
1835
Occupied by
1835 - 1840
Occupied by
1835 - 1840
Occupied by
1841 - 1845
Owned by
1841 - 1845
Owned by
1845 - 1883
Occupied by
1845 - 1883
Type