Residence constructed for the meat supplier, Thomas Field. Field gave it to the Australian Red Cross on condition that it be used for philanthropic or charitable purposes. The Red Cross operated a convalescent home there for ex-servicemen of World War II, opening on 12 December 1942. It was then leased to Sydney Legacy at a token cost for use as a hostel for orphaned children of servicemen. In 1973 Legacy handed the property back to the Red Cross and the following year it opened as a Junior Red Cross Home. It now operates as a day care centre.