Lindesay

Gothic revival style mansion in Darling Point, the first built when the area was subdivided in 1833. Commanding a sweeping view of the harbour, it survives as office and function centre though the formal gardens have diminished with subdivision. It was named in honour of Colonel Patrick Lindesay (1778-1839) who was acting Governor of the colony from 22 October to 2 December 1831.

Milestone
Constructed
1834 - 1836
Position
1834 - 1836
1834 - 1836
Property
Owned by
1834 - 1838
Owned by
1838 - 1839
Owned by
1839 - 1841
Owned by
1841 - 1845
Owned by
1845 - 1859
Occupied by
1849 - 1868
Owned by
1868 - 1911
Owned by
1914 - 1926
Owned by
1963 -
Type

Lindesay and Carthona

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2016

Lindesay, built between 1834 and 1836 for Colonial Treasure Campbell Drummond Riddell, is the oldest surviving residence in Darling Point. It was the home of Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell in 1841 while he built Carthona. The houses have since passed through the hands of a number of notable Darling Point residents and although the grounds of both have been subdivided, remain significant elements of the harbourside landscape.