Marcus Clark Building

Nine storey department store built in 1913 for Marcus Clark & Co at at 827-837 George Street Railway Square as a furniture showroom, an extension to the existing flagship store at Railway Square on the corner of Pitt and George. In 1928 the building on George Street was modified to become the main store. The store closed in 1965 and the building was purchased by the Sydney Institute of Technology in 1966.

Milestone
Constructed
1913
Modified
1928
Modified
1979 - 1980
Name
Commemorated by
Position
1913
1928
Property
Occupied by
1913 - 1965
Part of
1966 -
Occupied by
1966 -
Type

Marcus Clark and Co

,
2011

Established as a draper in Newtown, Marcus Clark and Co went on to become one of Sydney's best known stores, with numerous buildings at Railway Square, and a wide range of goods.