The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Mortuary railway station
Gothic style railway station on Regent Street in Chippendale that was built on a spur line as a terminus for funeral trains to Rookwood cemetery. Designed by James Barnet and built in two colours of Pyrmont sandstone, the receiving station at the other end of the line was in a similar style. The first time the station was used was for the funeral of Dr William Bland on 23 July 1868. In 1938 funeral trains stopped running from Mortuary station and the name was changed to Regent Street Station. The station, with some stationary rail cars, was restored and used as a restaurant in the 1980s. It is occasionally opened for heritage events.