Palace Theatre

Variety theatre, later used as a cinema, in Pitt Street that was built for George Adams in 1896 as part of the Tattersall's Hotel complex. The building had Sydney's first electric power station installed in the basement to provide light for the theatre.

Milestone
Replaced by
Constructed
1896
Demolished
1970
Position
Property
Part of
Owned by
Type

Palace Theatre

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Built as part of the Tattersall's hotel complex, the Palace Theatre was an opulent, baroque-style theatre, with interior design by Phil Goatcher. It became known as a 'hard luck house' where shows did not prosper, and was later used as a cinema, and mini-golf course. It closed in 1969.