Queen Victoria Building

Grand domed sandstone arcade in the centre of the city which was saved from demolition in the 1980s and restored to its Federation Romanesque glory. Previously the site had been the municipal markets designated by Governor Macquarie and its current retail tenants continue the tradition.

Milestone
Constructed
1893 - 1898
Modified
1986
Position
1893 - 1898
Type

Queen Victoria Building

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

One of Sydney City Council's big projects in the late nineteenth century, ostensibly built to replace the old central markets, the Queen Victoria Building was never really intended to be used as markets, and contained 200 shops under one roof. Later used as council offices and a library, the building was restored to retail use in the 1980s.