Rachel Forster Hospital

Hospital building constructed in 1941 in Pitt Street Redfern on the site of the William Redfern's cottage by the Rachel Forster Hospital organisation to expand on their smaller premises on George Street, Redern. The building on Pitt Street was in use for 60 years before being abandoned with the intention of using the site for high rise residences.

Milestone
Opened
1941
Closed
2000
Property
Occupied by
1941 - 2000
Type

Rachel Forster Hospital

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

The Rachel Forster Hospital has provided services to women since 1922 including training for female doctors, and later nurses. Until the 1960s its staff were almost exclusively female. It became a public hospital in 1930 and developed into a centre for innovation in the treatment of breast cancer and orthopaedic surgery before closing in 2000.