The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Refuge for Destitute Females
Refuge established in Pitt Street by the Sydney Female Refuge Society in part of the old Carters Barracks in 1848 to assist prostitutes to abandon their work and learn needlework and laundering skills. A new building was completed for the refuge in 1871. In 1901 the building was resumed for Central Railway and the society moved to the refuge to St Peters.