South Sydney Morgue

A morgue, or dead house, established as part of the Devonshire Street Cemeteries in 1881, located adjacent to the Church of England section at the corner of Elizabeth Street and Belmore Road. At the time of its construction, the morgue serviced the majority of the southern Sydney and became known as South Sydney Morgue; this name stuck as the city continued to grow around the cemetery. The South Sydney Morgue was demolished, alongside the rest of the Devonshire Street Cemeteries, to make way for Central Railway Station in 1901.

-33.880478896264, 151.20873832925

Milestone
Replaced by
Constructed
1881
Demolished
1901
Property
Part of
Type