Hall at 169-171 Phillip Street that was associated with St James Anglican Church, Queens Square. The three-storey brick building consisted of church offices in the basement with a concert hall above and then on the top level, a school. The church let the hall, which was noted for its good acoustics and lack of noise from the trams. It was renamed the Phillip Street Theatre in 1954 and became known for its fast and topical revues until the building was redeveloped In 1961. The new building included a venue which was also leased to the Phillip Street Theatre group. The new building was also known as St James' Hall and St James Playhouse.