Stanmore Fire Station

Originally Marrickville Fire Station, the building is located on Stanmore Road in Petersham and was the first Fire Station built for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. Built by Messrs Millit Brothers for 2,300 pounds, the building initially contained 17 rooms and was fitted with 'modern' appliances including electrical apparatus and telephones. Subsequent extensions to the building and its staffing made the station the second largest in New South Wales. Anniversary celebrations in 1986 marked 100 years of continual occupation of the station. It was closed in 1991 and sold to the Mastertouch Piano Roll Compnay in 2000 who remained there until 2005.

Milestone
Constructed
1885 - 1886
Opened
29 May 1886
Closed
1991
Name
Alternate
Marrickville Fire Station
1886 - 1914
Property
Owned by
1885 - 1910
Owned by
1910 - 2000
Owned by
2000 - 2005
Type