Star and Garter Inn Randwick
One of the earliest hotels in Randwick, the former Star and Garter Inn building became known for its distinctive castellated sandstone tower. Built at the corner of Avoca Street and Belmore Road by the alderman, William Ellis, it was then acquired by Captain Thomas Watson, a Sydney Harbour pilot who added the tower in the 1870s to enable views to Botany Bay. He named his home 'Cook's Lodge'. After his death, it became a private girls' school until the Hannan family purchased it in 1897 and operated a butchery until 1985. The building was extensively refurbished in 1987 and it now operates as a pub.