Sydney Conservatorium of Music building

Designed by Francis Greenway as stables for the Government House that had been commissioned by Governor Macquarie in 1816, the building became the Conservatorium in 1916.

Milestone
Modified
2001
Name
Alternate
Government Stables
Alternate
New South Wales State Conservatorium of Music
Commemorated by
Position
1816
1913
Property
Part of
Comprises
Comprises
1915 - 1920
Occupied by
1916 -
Occupied by
1918 -
Occupied by
1937 - 1939
Type

Percy Grainger at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2014

Percy Grainger was an 'all-round man' whose musical passions ranged from English folk songs through an eclectic array of composers, styles, influences and orchestrations. He graced the stage of the Sydney Conservatorium of Music as part of a two-year tour of Australia and New Zealand in 1935, leaving behind a harmonium that would languish beneath the main stage of the Vergrugghen Hall for over 70 years.