The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Hotel on Pitt Street, on the present site of the Hilton Hotel, that was the headquarters of the Tattersall's gambling club. The club has been meeting at the Mayor Inn run by licensee William John O'Brien when he built a public room for them to meet in 1858 and changed the name of the hotel to Tattersall's. In 1878 the hotel was purchased by friends for George Adams, a keen gambler from Kiama. Subsequently also known as Adams' Hotel, under Adams' management it went on to become the home of Tattersall's betting and lotteries after Adams started holding sweeps in 1881 for members of the public, in addition to those being held by the Tattersall's club. In 1891 the building was substantially renovated to plans by Varney Parkes that included the construction of the Marble Bar and an arcade that ran between George and Pitt Street. The remodelled hotel was reopened in December 1892, described in the press at the time as "an hotel superior in its appointments to any in the city". The hotel ceased trading in February 1969 and was demolished, to be replaced by the Hilton Hotel. The Marble Bar was dismantled and rebuilt in the new hotel.