The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
The Butterfly Hall
Timber and corrugated iron hall originally built in 1910 on the south side of Fairfield Railway Station on The Crescent. It was extensively damaged by fire soon after it was completed, and after it was rebuilt it opened as the Fairfield Picture Palace. The venue was very successful filled to capacity (about 2,000 people) every Saturday night. It was sold in 1918 and renamed The Butterfly and turned into a dance hall. It was later used as a wool store and skating rink until it was sold to the Fairfield branch of the Returned Services League. The building was rebuilt in 1990.