The Mint

Building on Macquarie Street, originally part of Sydney Hospital and subsequently used as a mint.

Milestone
Constructed
1811 - 1816
Property
Part of
Type

The Mint

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2008

Used as housing, offices and a dispensary between the 1820s and 1850s, the southern wing of the General Hospital was taken over as a branch of the Royal Mint after the gold rush, and opened in 1854. In 1926, the Mint moved to Canberra, and the building became government offices until the 1970s. It was later a museum and most recently has been the headquarters of the Historic Houses Trust.