Vaucluse House

Large Gothic-style residence surrounded by a nineteenth-century garden and outhouses on the harbour in Sydney's eastern suburbs. The original cottage was built by Irish convict Henry Browne Hayes in 1805, and he named it and the estate Vaucluse after the village of Fontaine-de-Vaucluse near Avignon in southern France. The house was greatly expanded by William Charles Wentworth after he purchased the estate in 1827. It is now a house museum run by the Historic Houses Trust.

-33.855392827906, 151.27362547466

Milestone
Constructed
1805
Modified
1827 - 1860
Name
Commemorated by
Alternate
The Retreat
1814 - 1822
Alternate
Vaucluse Cottage
1822 - 1827
Property
Part of
Comprises
Owned by
1822 - 1827
Owned by
1827 - 20 Mar 1872
Type