WEA Newport (David Stewart Summer School)
Residential centre or holiday camp established by the Workers' Educational Association Sydney branch at Newport on Sydney's northern beaches in 1924 for summer schools. The site was described in 1924 as 'the crest of a gentle slope overlooking Newport beach and within five minutes walk of Pittwater', The cost of the buildings was 7000 pounds, with much of the work done by the association's General Secretary David Stewart. When not in use by the WEA, the centre was used for conferences and meetings by other organisations. After his death in 1954, the centre was named the David Stewart Summer School. By the early 1970s the buildings had fallen into disrepair and despite plans for upgrades, in 1976 the site was sold.