The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
White Horse Hotel, George Street
Hotel on George Street between King and Market Streets, a few doors down from the Royal Hotel. Named the White Horse by publican George Watkins in 1838 when he moved from his earlier hotel of the same name in Pitt Street. Renamed Nissen's Cafe for a brief period in the early 1880s until it was taken over and refurbished by pugilist Larry Foley in 1885. A gymnasium and boxing ring were accommodated behind the hotel and it became well known as 'Larry Foley's White Horse'. Foley had operated another hotel in the early 1880s on York Street, also known as Foley's Hotel, but the license was cancelled in 1884. The building was demolished in July 1890 to make way for the construction of the Strand Hotel.