Woodford Academy

Inn built by Thomas Pembroke in 1831-32 which was subsequently extended and used as a businessman's residence, a school for boys, a guest house, boarding house and private residence.

Name
Alternate
Woodford House
Alternate
Woodman's Inn
1834 - 1839
Alternate
The King's Arms
1840 - 1855
Alternate
Buss's Inn
1855 - 1867
Position
1833 - 1835
1840
1843 - 1846
1855 - 1867
1868 -
Property
Owned by
1839 - 1855
Occupied by
1842 - 1843
Owned by
1868 - 1901
Owned by
1906 - 1946
Owned by
1946 - 1979
Owned by
1980 -
Type

Woodford Academy

CC BY-SA 2.0
,
2015

The Woodford Academy, a National Trust property at Woodford, is the oldest surviving group of buildings in the Blue Mountains and one of the largest nineteenth century inn complexes in Australia. Starting as an inn in 1834, the buildings have been adapted and repurposed as a gentleman's country retreat, tourist guesthouse, school, and home, ensuring their survival and the preservation of a multilayered history.