The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Persistent URL for this entry
To cite this entry in text
To cite this entry in a Wikipedia footnote citation
To cite this entry as a Wikipedia External link
Its original inhabitants were the Tharawal and Gundungurra people.
Named after Solomon Ellis, who arrived in Australia in 1855, the area was originally known as Cobbitty Paddocks, and included the area of land surrounded by the large loop in the Nepean River south of Cobbitty Village and west of Camden Airport.
Today, little remains of the once thriving farming activities in Ellis Lane. The area retains its rural air however, with development restricted to larger acreage allotments and residential areas with large blocks of land.
Camden Council, Camden, viewed 5 November 2008, www.camden.nsw.gov.au
GV Sidman, The Town of Camden: a facsimile, Camden Public Library, 1995