Muogamarra Nature Reserve
Persistent URL for this entry
To cite this entry in text
To cite this entry in a Wikipedia footnote citation
To cite this entry as a Wikipedia External link
Muogamarra Sanctuary, in the shire of Hornsby, consists of a plateau of Hawkesbury sandstone, riven by numerous gullies. It slopes westward towards Berowra Creek and northward towards the Hawkesbury, forming a broad peninsula at the junction of those two waterways.
Muogamarra is an Aboriginal word from the Awabagal people of the Lake Macquarie area, meaning ‘to preserve for the future’ and it was used in the absence of a recorded local word. In 1934, John Duncan (JD) Tipper, an early environmentalist, took up a leasehold of 600 acres (243 hectares) of crown land, which was opened as a sanctuary with limited public access the following year. He continued to add to this leasehold until in 1953 the sanctuary included some 2,050 acres (829.6 hectares). At this point, the State Government assumed control over Muogamarra and a Trust was established to administer it, with Tipper appointed as the first President.
In 1961, the sanctuary was further extended, covering almost 2,770 acres (1121 hectares).