The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Persistent URL for this entry
To cite this entry in text
To cite this entry in a Wikipedia footnote citation
To cite this entry as a Wikipedia External link
North Epping is a residential area in Hornsby Shire, divided from Epping at Somerset Street (and the M2 Motorway) and encircled on other sides by Devlins Creek and Terrys Creek. It has been described as a cul-de-sac, as access is restricted to Norfolk Road.
Long the territory of Aboriginal people, predominantly the Dharug, the land became part of the publicly owned Field of Mars Common in 1804. It first came into private ownership in 1898, with the subdivision of the common. The land was originally used for orchards, poultry farms and rose nurseries.
It was not until after World War II that residential development began. In 1948, the area north of Malton Road, which had been reserved as part of the green belt scheme, became available. North Epping consolidated its identity as a suburb with the establishment of its own post office in 1954 and its own public school in 1960.
Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, the farms were sold as housing construction boomed.
Alex McAndrew, An ABC of Epping, 2001, pp 19–20