Persistent URL for this entry
To cite this entry in text
To cite this entry in a Wikipedia footnote citation
To cite this entry as a Wikipedia External link
Thompsons Corner is a locality in West Pennant Hills, at the junction of Castle Hill Road and Pennant Hills Road. It lies on the boundary of the shires of Hornsby and Baulkham Hills. The land was originally the home of the Dharug and Ku-ring-gai peoples.
Thompsons Corner is named after Thomas Thompson, a former convict, who established a bakery there in the 1850s to take advantage of the increased traffic heading north towards the newly opened Peats Ferry on the Hawkesbury River.
His son, also Thomas, built a two-storey building on the site, which operated as a general store, drapery and bakery. The family store continued into the early twentieth century and was a prominent landmark.
Hornsby Shire Historical Society Research Committee, Pioneers of the Hornsby Shire, 1788-1906, Library of Australian History, Sydney, 1983, pp 100–102
Claire Schofield, The Shaping of Hornsby Shire, Hornsby Shire Council, Hornsby NSW, 1988, p 54