The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Police Court, Phillip Street
Courthouse on Phillip Street, between the older Water Police Court and the Water Police Station, that opened in January 1886. It was intended for use mainly as a summons and small debts court, in addition to the older court building. At the opening, Whittingdale Johnson, the first magistrate to sit in the building remarked the new facilities would allow those magistrates "who had suffered through the foul atmosphere of the old court" to regain their health. The courthouse was built of Pyrmont freestone to plans by the Colonial Architect, with particular attention paid to ventilation and windows. The building is now part of the Justice & Police Museum and managed by Sydney Living Museums.