The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Convict theatre that opened in Sydney in 16 January 1796, thought to have been either at Windmill Row (Prince Street), Bells Row (Bligh Street), or High (George) Street near Jamieson or Hunter Streets. It was built by 'some of the more decent class of prisoner' and 'fitted up the house with more theatrical propriety than could have been expected'. The building was probably a primitive timber slab-sided small hall or shed, possibly with a stepped floor, the pit would be the 'front box' over or behind, and a gallery. Convict Robert Sidaway was either the prime mover in it establishment, its owner or manager. Occasional performances were held until the arrival in 1800 of Governor King.