The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
The original St Stephen's Anglican church building in Newtown on the corner of Longford and Stephen street. Designed by Edmund Blacket and built on land donated by Elizabeth Bligh. It was consecrated in 1845 but as Newtown grew it quickly became too small and in 1871 the new, larger St Stephen's Anglican church was opened in the grounds of the Camperdown Cemetery. The older building was used as a day and Sunday School, and in 1907 was partially demolished and converted for use as a parish hall. In September 1938 a spark from a neighbour's burning rubbish landed on the building which was destroyed in the subsequent fire. Several children had been in the hall at the time rehearsing for a Sunday School concert but were all safely removed by the caretaker.