The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Persistent URL for this entry
To cite this entry in text
To cite this entry in a Wikipedia footnote citation
To cite this entry as a Wikipedia External link
[media]In 1841 Robert Johnston (the son of George Johnston, First Fleet Lieutenant and substantial landholder in Annandale) subdivided Thomas Barker's third allotment of 8¾ acres (3 hectares) into 47 allotments for resale. Access to 11 of those allotments was provided by the creation of Annandale Street, Johnston's Terrace and Spring Street which evolved into today's one-way looping Annandale Street. Until the 1860s and 70s only a few cottages were built on Glenhurst Estate allotments, but one large residence, Como, was built by the retailer, Sydney C Burt. The solicitor, George Evans, later purchased Como, together with several other Glenhurst Estate allotments, on which he built his large Victorian residence, Glenhurst.
In 1882 after Evans' death, the Glenhurst residence and remaining land was sold to Henry Hudson, a member of the successful construction company Hudson Brothers. Hudson further subdivided and sold allotments on New Beach Road along the reclaimed Rushcutters Bay shoreline, a process continued by his widow Mary Ann after Henry's death in 1907. In 1912 another builder, William Stuart, purchased the residence and remaining land. The Stuart family occupied the residence until it was demolished and replaced in 1959 or 1960 by a large, multi-storey apartment building, Glenhurst Gardens. 
Hardy, Bobbie. Their Work was Australian: The Story of the Hudson Family. Sydney: Hudson Family, 1970.
 Richardson & Wrench, February – July 1882,' Richardson & Wrench contract books, 1862–1936, 27, ML A4531, Box 9, Kingswood KL73872; Bobbie Hardy, Their Work was Australian: The Story of the Hudson Family, Hudson Family Sydney 1970, 58