The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Ye Olde Crusty Cellar
Wine cellar opened by the winemaker and viticulturist, Leo Buring, in the basement of the former Primrose Building at 255A George Street in August 1931. The premises were described as having 'the head of Bacchus...to guide guests in and out' with 'shaded lights' and a feeling of 'cloistered gloom'. According to a publication produced by Buring, titled 'Amusings of the Ye Olde Crusty', it notes:
In an earlier and out-of-print edition of the "A-Musings,” Ye Olde Crusty was described as a Wine Cellar...It is more than such words could convey. It is the treasure house of the Grape, presided over by the Master Vigneron, Mr. Leo Buring.
The cellar's special vintages attracted crowds and the venue also played host to many distinguished guests. In May 1933, officers of the German Navy light cruiser DKM Köln visited the cellar.