The Dictionary of Sydney was archived in 2021.
Field of Mars common
Common land in the Ryde area which was set aside by Governor King in 1804, in an area named the 'Field of Mars' by Governor Phillip in 1788, for the use of the local community. It remained undeveloped until the Field of Mars Resumption Act of 1874 which enabled the colonial government to clear and subdivide the land. By the mid 1880s most of the land was sold for small farms and villas. 45 hectares remain as the Field of Mars Wildlife Refuge.