Camp Cove

Small bay just inside South Head of Sydney Harbour, north of Watsons Bay.

Type

Camp Cove

,
2008

Camp Cove and the freshwater pond behind it were traditional camping and fishing sites for the Cadigal traditional owners. The Europeans made first landfall there on 21 January 1788, while exploring Port Jackson, but Aboriginal people lived there until the 1840s. The cove later became a water police base, research station and a tourist destination.